Monday, May 31, 2010

Recipes

A couple of recipes that we really like. No pics with them, as I did not have time to take pics. Maybe next time.

Grape Salad

5 lbs grapes (mix red and white)
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1 cup sugar
Mix and fold over grapes. Pour into a bowl.

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped roasted pecans (roast whole pecans, cool and chop)
Mix the brown sugar and roasted pecans and put on top of grape mixture.

My method:
I do not usually use the full 5 pounds of grapes. I mix the white and red grapes sometimes, sometimes I use either all white or all red. The mix of grapes  makes a prettier dish, but does not effect the flavor. The full 5 pounds makes a huge dish, like punch bowl size. I rarely use the entire 5 pounds. Four pounds makes a huge dish. The weekend I used about 2 pounds. I use the full amount of cream cheese, sour cream and sugar, no matter what amount of grapes I use.
I use fat free cream cheese and fat free sour cream. I also use Splenda instead of sugar. It works either way with full fat and full sweetening. We just don't need that fat and extra calories from the sugar in our diet.
I have used the low sugar brown sugar, but I think the regular brown sugar works better. I do not roast the pecans. I just chop the regular raw pecans and mix with the brown sugar and sprinkle on the grape mixture. This makes a good fruit dessert as well as a salad.
I got this recipe from a group of ladies at the Shady Valley, TN Church of Christ.

Another recipe we like:
Three Week Slaw

1 large cabbage, chopped fine
1 green sweet pepper, chopped fine
1 onions, chopped fine
1 1/2 cup sugar
Mix veggies and sugar together in a large bowl with a sealable lid. Let stand.

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp celery seed, optional
1 tsp salt
Mix oil, vinegar, celery seeds and salt. Bring to a boil. While hot, pour this over cabbage mixture and mix well. Serve immediately or store in refigerator. Keeps well. Keeps for longer than three weeks.
My substitutes: I use Splenda instead of sugar. I use olive oil usually as that is usually what I have on hand. We really like this for summer salad. This also came from the Shady Valley, TN Church of Christ. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive