Friday, January 6, 2012

Thursday Night Supper

I received a Pfaltzgarff calendar this year. Don't remember where I got it or how, but maybe from my friend who receives lots of calendars in the mail each year and she always shares with me. This calendar has a recipe for each month and a discount coupon for each month. I thought the recipe for January looked really good, so I got the ingredients and made it last night. It is a keeper!!

Super Bowl Sausage Pizza

1/2 lb. Italian sausage
1 c. sliced onions
1 c. bell pepper strips
1/8 t. crushed red pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
1 loaf French bread, halved lengthwise
1 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

My notes after directions:
In nonstick skillet, lightly brown sausage stirring to crumble. Add onion, bell pepper and crushed red pepper. Cook 5 minutes until tender-crisp. Stir in diced tomatoes. Simmer to thicken, slightly. On baking sheet, top bread halves with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is nicely browned. Cut in pieces to serve.
1. The package of Italian sausage I bought was 19 ounces. So I used half of it. After it had cooked, it did not look like enough for 2 French bread halves, so I cooked the rest of the sausage. I poured off the fat that cooked out of the meat.
2. How do you measure 1 cup of sliced onions or bell pepper strips? So I just sliced a medium to large onion and cut a good sized bell pepper in strips.
3. I did not use the crushed red pepper. Hubby does not care for highly spiced foods.
4. The can of petite diced tomatoes I bought had more Italian spices in them, and no olive oil, so I poured about a tablespoon of olive oil in the can. I also used about 2 T. of tomato paste since I had more sausage than the recipe called for.
5. The loaf of French bread that I bought was buttered with garlic butter. One other reason that I drained of the sausage fat.
6. The cheese melted nicely in 9 minutes and the bread was browned. It was a little too crusty and was difficult to cut into serving pieces. But with a little work I got it cut.
This is a really good pizza type dish. We had leftovers so we will try it again tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive