Friday, August 10, 2012

Cookies

I always look at the recipes that come in our newspaper, you know, the magazine part that comes once a week. About a couple of weeks ago there was a recipe for breakfast cookies. Breakfast is the meal I have more trouble with. I don't like to eat the same thing all the time for breakfast. If you could see my pantry, I usually have 4-5 different kinds of cereal. I am always looking for cereal that is high in fiber and low in iron. So when I saw the recipe for these cookies I cut it out and thought I'd make some. I made them about a week ago, and they are strictly good!
I was going to charge the battery in my camera the first of this past week. It looked like it was run down completely. So I put it in its charger and in less than an hour the green light was on the charger so I took it out. It was still dead. Tried charging it several times and the battery was never charged. We had gotten the camera at Walmart ten or fifteen years ago. So I went back to Walmart yesterday to get a battery for the camera. They don't stock those batteries and I would have to order one from walmart.com. Okay, if I am going to have to order the battery, I knew I could get one off of Ebay or Amazon probably for much less than Walmart was wanting for one. After I got home, I was talking to my son about my camera situation. He said he always bought cameras that used regular AA batteries. So when I looked at the price of my battery, $69, and the price of a small camera from Amazon, it was only $20 more than the battery. So why spend the money for a battery and not even be sure that was my problem. So I ordered a small Canon  for less than $100. So this is the reason I am copying a pic from Google of cookies for this post.

Fruity Breakfast Cookie

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar (Next time I will use Splenda)
1 cup packed brown sugar (Next time I will use brown sugar Splenda, but only 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup old-fashioned oats (I used regular oats)
1/2 cup flaxseed meal (I didn't have flaxseed meal, so I use wheat bran)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1-1 1/2 cups self rising flour (I only used 1 cup, the other half cup would have made them too dry)
1 cup dried cranberries or cherries (I used cranberries)
1 cup chopped dried apricots or dried plums (I used apricots)
1 cup raisins
2 cups chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine butter, sugars, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium spread until light fluffy. Beat in eggs.
Sitr in oats, flaxseed meal, whole wheat flour, and 1 cup self rising flour. Add additional self rising flour in 1/4 cup increments if dough is still sticky. Stir in fruits and nuts until well combined.
Scoop dough onto backing sheet,  using a 1-ounce (2 tablespoons) scoop. (I used an ice cream scoop that has the thing that goes untder the ice cream to release it from the scoop.) Bake 10-13 minutes, until cookies are puffy and light tan. (I baked mine for the full 13 minutes, they were still puffy and soft in the center.) Be careful not to overbake. The centers will be a bit doughy and dense. Makes 2 dozen.
Calories per cookie 310 calories, 15 gm fat, 25 mg cholestrol, 4 grams protein, 40 g carbs, 5 grams fiber, 140 mg sodium.
I had to let the cookies cool some before taking them off the cookie sheet to cool completely. They are really good. And the calorie amount for each cookie is why I will use Splenda instread of regurlar sugar. A bowl of cereal is much less than 300 calories.
One cookie for breakfast and I did not get hungry before time for lunch.
Hope you try these and like them.

1 comment:

  1. I want to try these and play with the recipe, too...maybe substituting honey for the sugars and more oats for the flour. I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive