Sunday, October 16, 2011

31 dayers: Day 16

Another dish we really like is similar to the one yesterday. It is one that you can put in the oven and forget.

Baked Chicken and Rice

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/4 cups of rice, I have used all kinds of rice with this dish and they all turn out well.
Chicken--up to about 8 pieces of chicken, whole chicken cut up, breasts, thighs, whatever you want.

Oven set at 325-350 degrees.
The original recipe called for a stick of butter melted and mixed with the soups and rice. As we became more conscious of fat in our food, I left out the butter. Dish works just as well without all the butter (Sorry, Paula Deene!).
Mix soups and rice together. I think the original recipe called for some water with the soups, but I quit putting it in as it really doesn't need it. If you want a really soupy dish, then add some water. Put the soups and rice in a baking dish that has a good tight fitting lid. Lay chicken on top of soup/rice. Put in oven. Cook for 3 hours.
This was a good Sunday dish for us. I could put it in the oven when we left the house for church and it was cooked when we returned. I adjusted the temperature according to how long it would be before I got back to the kitchen. I have cooked it at 300 for 4 hours. It is a very forgiving recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive